Sunday, January 13, 2013

Beading Babes Project 7

The reveal for Beading Babes Project 7 was Dec 9th, 2012...right in the middle of the mayhem for me...and I did get my projects mostly completed, but did not get all of them posted in time for the reveal.

As I just finished the third one today, I thought I would post my pictures and comments, perhaps better late than never. :-) Project 8 is coming up fast.

1. Scalloped Pearls Bracelet from Bead & Button October 2012. (Angelle Procopio design)



I thoroughly enjoyed creating this bracelet. The instructions were easy to follow, even though I had to make some substitutions from the original bead sizing as I was determined to use "stash" to create these projects. The pattern is a great opportunity to do some colour work, which I really enjoy, and I will certainly do this one again, probably in multiple colourways to see how that affects the "look". I want to try it, for example, with all the bugle beads in the same colour, so the wave is highlighted rather than the fans. 
Most of my projects are created for the benefit of my charity, but this one became a Christmas present for my granddaughter after she admired it on Facebook. 

2. Enchanted Rivoli Earrings from Beadwork August 2012. (Csilla Cermaz design)


These were a bit tougher to create; after searching heaven and earth for the size 9 seed beads used in her original design without success (WHY do bead magazines do this??), I substituted size 10 czech seeds. The size differential is crucial to the design of the herringbone rope which encircles the rivoli, which needs to smoothly transition from the 6's to the 8's to the (9's) 10's. What I did worked, but I think would have worked better if the 9's had been available. Which they are not. *sigh*
My bezelling technique definitely needs work. I did manage to get those suckers in there, but I have added at least one row of peyote to the front and back to make them more secure. I'm still not sure I shouldn't have resorted to the crazy glue. 
But they are really pretty. As they remind me of peacock feathers even in this colorway, I think I'm going to have to try a colour which would make them even more evocative of the feathers. A good friend has been dropping hints, so I'll probably do a pair for her as well in the purple; she has an evening gown which would be amazing with these, but I don't want to gift them to her as I'm just not confident in the rivoli...possibly after pair #3 I'll be more confident. Hopefully. 

3. Roller Beads from Bead and Button, also October 2012 (Cathy Lampole design)


I just finished these today; as you can see, I had a bit more time to play with pictures for these. These are a fairly typical Cathy Lampole design, with her signature RAW base and criss/cross crystal embellishment. I had to do a fair amount of frogging on the first (cream) one to get the base to work properly but after that they were a breeze. They use a LOT of crystals and Swarovski pearls, so I'll probably try them in Fire polish and glass pearls to see how they look, as a less expensive to produce alternative. As shown, we're looking at a COST of $15.60 per bead to produce them, so at least $35.00 per bead retail. 
I was not fond of the accompanying herringbone rope, so I didn't do it. I like the idea of just slipping them on a looped chain like I have done, with a stopper pendant of some kind; it makes them more versatile as well. They are very firm and self supporting, so there are lots of options. I did try one on a Regaliz leather band, but it is slightly too small to work. 

Looking forward to Project 8 with this group! 





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work with those designs. I have to say I was a bit discouraged with the inability to find the 9's too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! I really, really think the magazines need to do more work on this...would it really be so hard to do some research before publishing, then rework the design to use a more viable element? I think not! Sore point as you can see LOL. Having said that, I DID find this: http://www.beyondbeadery.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=95

      Delete
  2. Your beading work is lovely- those earrings are GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks for visiting.