Monday, March 26, 2012

A contest made for me!

I have quite a number of things on the go at the moment...but one of them that will be ongoing for a few months is this contest from Beadwork magazine. When I saw the announcement a few months back...it seemed made for me! I do love my beaded beads, and search out new variations everywhere. I'm excited to bead along and participate!

So far, there have been two of the five patterns published. Here are the beads I've made so far:


The three beads at the right of the picture are the same bead done in different sizes and color variations; they were really fun to make, and were the first pattern published. The base component is the small star you see to their left. This one is size 15 beads. 

The larger one to the upper left of the picture is the newest bead from the Apr/May issue of the magazine; the first one was a real challenge, but now that I have it figured out, I'm just waiting for some additional 8mm beads  I've ordered (I don't often work that large) to create an additional one or two. 

Can't wait to see the rest of the patterns!

9 comments:

  1. I started my beaded beads also. I really liked both of the patterns. I love the blue beads you used on the April/May bead. The other colors you chose are going to work so well with that nice aqua. I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the beaded beads too. I created the first in green, pink and a touch of gray but don't care for it. I haven't done this month's bead yet so I am glad to see it worked up differently than the mag. You did a great job matching the two beads. Your finished project will be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andra! I started out the project by choosing two different but complementary color schemes: an aqua and antique brass group, and a coral and silver group. As the beads come along, I'll do beads in each of the groups, and at least one with the groups combined. That should enable me to mix/match them when the time comes to come up with a design (I hope LOL). The instructions for this month's bead are not the best IMO; I would suggest doing up to the "netting"...do the first group of nets from the instructions...then just ignore the instructions and duplicate what you can see you did in the first rounds. I found the instructions extremely difficult to follow because of the numbering, which is impossible to keep track of. If you have any problems, I can likely help now!
      Have fun working with yours!

      Delete
    2. Hi Lori,

      My friend Kia posted on Facebook about your jewelry, so I followed her link to your blog. Your beaded beads look great! I hope you'll also like my pattern (in the next issue). FYI, Gwen Fisher submitted a 13 page pattern to the magazine and they cut it down to 3, and added all that numbering themselves. We agree that it is challenging to follow. Your suggestion in the comments here about how to cope with it is a good one. An alternative, if you feel like springing for it is to buy the full version along with another (coordinating) pattern from our shop, beAd Infinitum (http://www.beadinfinitum.com/Kits/index.html#Octahedral_Cluster).

      Happy beading!
      -Florence Turnour

      Delete
    3. Thanks Florence, glad you made it over. I did see the sneak peek of next month's bead thanks to Kia, and I'm already excited! No doubt you'll be seeing my name in some of your invoicing!

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Lori. Your beads are stunning, congrats. You won my Novica giveaway. Please contact me so I can get you your info. Courtney of beads by breul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lori,
    Maybe it's too early in the morning, but I can't figure out how to contact you through your blog, so I'll leave a comment on your blog. You & I are button swap partners (in Cindy Wimmer's button swap). Looking at your fabulous beaded beads, I hope I can find some buttons in my stash that suite your style!
    I'm looking forward to "talking" to you, and seeing what we create.
    Cynthia Riggs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are pretty! I love the aqua color scheme that you used for the Cube Cluster beaded bead. Combined with the star-faced beaded beads, it leads to a refreshing ocean theme. I can't wait to see what you'll make with the rest of the designs!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks for visiting.